St Michael’s Parish, Inchicore, Dublin 8
Child Safeguarding Policy Statement
St. Michael’s Parish values and encourages the participation of children and young people in parish liturgies and in activities that enhance their spiritual, physical, emotional and social development.
We recognise the dignity, diversity and rights of all children and are committed to their protection from all forms of abuse. This is a commitment binding on all priests and on all those who work in our parish. It extends to the many and varied ways that children share in the life of our Church.
The parish undertakes to do all in its power to create a safe environment for children and young people in order to ensure their protection and enable their full participation in parish activities.
The parish complies with the requirements of Safeguarding Children and fulfils its obligations and responsibilities for the safeguarding and protection of children by:
- Working in partnership with the civil authorities (the HSE and An Garda) in all matters that pertain to the protection of children
- Adhering to Children First, National Guidelines for the Protection and Welfare of Children, Department of Children and Youth Affairs. 2011.
Any person who has concerns regarding the suspected Emotional, Physical or Sexual abuse of a child should contact one or all of the following:
- Andrew Fagan, Dublin Diocese Child Safeguarding and Protection Service: 01 8360314, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kilmainham Garda station: 01 6669700
- Health Services Executive (HSE) – Local Office: 01 648 6500 / 620 6387
- Parish Child Safeguarding Representatives: 087 2402862 or 087 6606084
- Towards Healing – counselling service for victims of clerical abuse 1800 303416 www.towardshealing.ie
- Tusla – Child and Family Agency, Ballyfermot. 01 6206387
- Childline: 1800 666666
At all times, an individual making a complaint or allegation is fully entitled to make a report directly to the statutory authorities i.e. the Gardaí and / or the HSE. Judgement about abuse will be left to the professionals and the parish Child Safeguarding Representative will not conduct any investigation whatsoever.